Wednesday, March 27, 2013

W30- Day 3

Day 3 of our Whole 30 Challenge!

  Brandon and I had different experiences today.  After making Brandon his breakfast and lunch, I went back to bed and, later, woke up to find two of my children feeling sick to their stomachs- likely that virus that has been going around.  Only one was throwing up, and after breakfast he was feeling much better. I figured it would be best for them to lay around and do very little, but I had a ton of energy, even though I had a relatively small breakfast (2 eggs, one slice of turkey, and a couple grapes).  I also had a pretty small lunch- a few bites of leftover steak, more turkey slices, and.. what else did I eat? Oh, right, sugar snap peas and carrots.

Like I said, I (Mandy) had a good bit of energy, although I admit I struggled this morning because it seemed easier just to have a slice of toast or skip breakfast altogether.  I'm glad I didn't because I surely would not have had the energy I did (and still do) have so I wouldn't have managed to accomplish all I did.

I ended up cleaning the whole homeschool/playroom, which also meant a lot of rearranging, organizing and purging (not the throw up kind. I mean the throw out/donate kind!), ditto for the living, dining, and kitchen areas.

So, I spent pretty much the whole day cleaning, from morning until evening.  I'm not sure if that was just one of those freak circumstances where I have lots of energy and feel motivated to overhaul the house (possibly driven by the clutter that seems to accumulate when one has five children), or if it is diet related.

Brandon, on the other hand, said he never felt satisfied today (even though he had a big breakfast and lunch). He was very hungry when he got home and was really exhausted and achy. This sounds about right since, in past whole30-like cleanses, he has felt similar around days 3-5.  Plus, he had a mentally exhausting day at work.  Therefore, the result was "GRUMPY GRUMPY GRUMPY HUNGRY" (his words).  "I'm determined to press through, though," he stated.

Because I was still busy putting the finishing touches on the house-overhaul, my husband made a delicious dinner of gumbo, which, yanno, we're Cajuns, so....

Before you say gumbo isn't Whole30/Paleo, I assure you, we adjusted the ingredients to make a dish that tasted very similar to gumbo (I've never liked that thick roux taste anyway).  Instead of rice, we used cauliflower.  If we had fresh cauliflower, we would have made cauliflower rice, but we only had frozen so Brandon placed pieces of cauliflower in the gumbo toward the end, and it soaked up the flavor nicely.  I didn't even miss the rice!  (He thickened it with arrowroot. I know some people feel it's not Paleo because it contains starch, but.. meh.)



I'm thinking I will use cauliflower to make a chicken and dumplings-like soup.  Wouldn't that be tasty?


No comments: